Here's a side dish for your next cookout. The crisp broccoli mixed with savory bacon and cheese and complimented by raisins and a sweet dressing makes this a well-rounded option to eat all by yourself or share with a group of your favorite people. It's a cinch to make and you can make it a bit ahead of time or right before you head out the door.
RECIPE - 57. Broccoli Salad
About the Contributor:
Heather is a working mom of four. With little time to waste on laborious meals or bad recipes, she took to Pinterest to find the musts and weed out the busts. See what she recommends for your busy week at www.mustorbustrecipes.com.
- 1 lb broccoli florets, cut bite-size
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced or cut in strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (no shells)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Chop broccoli into bite-size pieces. Chop onion and cook & crumble bacon.
- In a pot of boiling water, drop broccoli and cook for about 1 minute. Remove immediately and rinse with cold water (if you're in a huge hurry, this step can be optional). Place in a large bowl.
- Add onion, cheese, bacon, raisins, and sunflower seeds to broccoli.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar and sugar. Pour over salad right before serving or allow the salad to “soften” with the dressing on for about 4 hours. You decide.