RECIPE-44. Quick Sausage & Cabbage Skillet
This skillet is an easy addition to your weekly menu. It's nothing fancy, but it's cost-effective and as quick as a few chops and a toss in the pan. Add it to the menu if you've got some busy nights coming up.
About the Contributor:
Zac Ritter is a career man who also really loves to cook. He doesn't have a lot of time when he gets home from his day job, but he wants his food to taste good. Stick with his recipes if you're a fan of no-frills southern cooking.
- 1 package of polska kielbasa or smoked sausage
- 1 yellow onion, large dice
- 1/2 green cabbage, large dice (dicing of onion and cabbage should be similar in size)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Slice the sausage very thin, about 1/4 inch.
- Add one tablespoon of oil to the hot pan, then add sausage. Cook for a few minutes to get some browning on the sausage.
- Add the onion and cook until it starts to get some color. Then add a tablespoon of minced garlic. Once fragrant, add another tablespoon of oil and the cabbage.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 minutes until cabbage becomes soft then serve.
- You can take it up a notch by adding a couple shakes of red pepper flakes with the salt and pepper or by stirring in a tablespoon of sriracha right before serving.