RECIPE - 3. Baked Chicken Tacos
Baked Chicken Tacos
About the Contributor:
Heather is a working mom of four. With little time to waste on laborious meals or bad recipes, she took to Pinterest to find the musts and weed out the busts. See what she recommends for your busy week at www.mustorbustrecipes.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken shredded (rotisserie chicken or Tyson pre-cooked shredded chicken are good shortcuts)
- 1 ounce pkg of taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomato 14.5 ounce, FULLY DRAINED
- 1 can chopped green chiles 4.5 ounce, FULLY DRAINED
- 10 stand and stuff taco shells
- 8 ounces refried beans (1/2 can)
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese shredded
- Toppings such as jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce, or any of your favorite taco garnishments!
Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium skillet.
3. Add chopped onion to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
4. Stir in the chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes (FULLY DRAINED), and green chiles (FULLY DRAINED) *see note. Stir to combine fully. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes more.
5. Place the taco shells in the baking dish, standing up. I was able to fit 10 taco shells in the dish by adding 2 on each side.
6. Bake the taco shells for 5 minutes by themselves to allow them to crisp up. Remove from the oven.
7. Spoon 1 tablespoon of beans into the bottom of each taco shell. Top with the chicken mixture, almost to the top of each shell.
8. Sprinkle each shell generously with shredded cheese, the more the better!
9. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and the edges of the shells are browned.
10. Remove from the oven and top with your favorite items such as jalapenos, sour cream, cilantro, and salsa.