Need a side for your dinner tonight? This southern-style casserole is good for the soul. Soup up your side game with this rich and cheesy dish of corn, broccoli, and topped with delicious Ritz crackers.
About the Contributor:
Zac Ritter is a career man who also really loves to cook. He doesn't have a lot of time when he gets home from his day job, but he wants his food to taste good. Stick with his recipes if you're a fan of no-frills southern cooking.
- 1 sleeve of original Ritz crackers
- 6 tablespoons of butter, divided
- 2 10-ounce packages of microwavable frozen broccoli
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces frozen corn, cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Make the crumbs: empty one sleeve of original Ritz crackers into a gallon size bag. Squeeze as much air out as you can, seal the bag, and pound away. Fists work best.
- Melt a half-stick of butter in the microwave (about 30 seconds) and add it to the crackers. Continue to crush the crackers until all the butter is mixed in. Set this aside.
- Cook two 10oz. microwavable frozen broccoli packs. Strain and arrange the broccoli along the front and back edge of a 9x13 dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over med-low heat. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour and couple pinches of kosher salt (about 1/2 tsp).
- Slowly add 1.5 cups of milk, whisking until smooth.
- Raise heat to med-high, keep stirring it so it doesn’t burn, until it starts to bubble and add 1 8-oz. package of shredded sharp cheddar. Mix in one cooked bag of frozen corn and 1/4 cup of the prepared ritz crumbs.
- Pour cheese mixture into the middle of the casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining Ritz crumbs over the cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.